Tuesday 22 February 2011

My new guilty secret...

For those of you that have been blogging for years or have been reading blogs for years you will probably be well aware of the Blog site 'Post Secret'. I was only introduced to this site on Sunday, and I think I can safely say that it'll be part of my new Sunday routine for a very long time.

For those of you that aren't aware Post Secret is as simple as it sounds, people post their secrets, very often on a postcard, to, it seems, a man in Germantown, Maryland, USA. This man, I believe he is called Frank, chooses from the masses a few of these secrets to share with the world on his blog http://www.postsecret.com/ .

Although, if you check out this week's blog you may not enjoy quite how dark some of these secrets are; one secret is a voicemail that had been sent in by a boy with this accompanying email...
"This is the last thing I heard from my girlfriend in January of 2009. It was right before she took her own life. I didn't answer the phone because I was in class, and have regretted it ever since. "
...I am assured that it is a complete mix of secrets and many can make you laugh out loud. I had a look through the archives, and there is a real mix of secrets, including the blissfully silly "Whenever I have dinner with my in-laws, I pretend I'm on survior...if I just eat it I will win the million."  You may not laugh out loud, but it certainly made me smile.

Of the above email and voicemail, I questioned whether I wanted to listen to it, but in the end I thought that if this boy wanted to share his secret then it was worth listening to. The voicemail was incredibly haunting and something I don't think will ever leave me. In a good way. I'm glad I listened to it. It was painfully heart breaking, real and reminds us that if a friend is calling, there must be a reason and surely wherever possible, you should pick up. Not that I think this poor by has anything to feel guilty about, and I can't get how brave he is for sharing this. I am a terrible one for ignoring a phone call and texting back a wee while later because, if I am completely honest, I think I sound like Theodore The Chipmunk with a head cold when I speak on the phone. I think someone confusing me for a chipmunk is something I need to learn to live with.

But this is not meant to be a sad post, this is meant to convey how fabulous I think this beautifully simple blog is. I am forever writing emails I have no intention of sending, just so I can physically write down my thoughts or how I am feeling. They are often about the same thing and the same person, but it still feels good to get the feeling out each and every time. Now, perhaps I have a new way of letting these feelings out, thanks to Post Secret...

...now, which secret to start with!?


A secret from the post secret archive's that certainly rings true with this southern girl...


No comments:

Post a Comment