Wednesday 8 June 2011

And my new obsession goes to...

My family have been laughing at me lately, well that's not true, they have been laughing at me my whole life but lately their laughs have been slightly harder. Have I become uncommonly witty? Alas, I have not. The only person who thinks I am some comedic Goddess is The Blonde One, hence the friendship. Well, that and her ability with a cocktail shaker (I jest, of course, I couldn't love the girl more if I tried. I have tried, I just look as if I am constipated). No, the reason for my families laughter (and when I say laughter I of course mean rolled eyes and smirks. Naturally) is because since they forced me to watch Britain's Got Talent on Saturday night I have been ever so slightly obsessed with 11 year old Jackie Evancho. Did you really think I was going to say any of the British lot? Give me a little originality please. Psst! 


No, it was the tiny American with the angelic voice that had me speechless. For those of you that know me, this is a rare treat. I don't know if you've noticed, but I like to talk. If you didn't see Jackie, then you simply  must (see I even put in a clever wee link for you there of her performance from Saturday). If you have not just been blown away after watching that then you are either deaf, idiotic, have recently had your ears removed, have no taste or stupidly clicked on the wrong link. Because otherwise you would have seen a tiny little blonde thing sing with all the grace, beauty and maturity of the likes of Maria Callas or Kiri Te Kanawa and she's only 11, for crying out loud. It's flipping ridonkulous. And so is she. 


When discussing this new talent with one of mother's friends she chirped up with the notion that Jackie was like a 'mini Katherine Jenkins'. I politely replied 'Oh, I think she has a little more talent than Katherine, personally.' rather than the 'You have to be fricking kidding me? Katherine sounds as if she suffers hearing loss and has no diction. This girl has more talent in her little finger. Be gone from my sight you utter buffoon.' which I had to say in the privacy of my own head instead. I don't actually mind Katherine Jenkins all that much, I just think she's a light classics singer (and that's all) and not of the talent of Callas, Te Kanawa whom I grew up listening to, thanks to my mother. Oh, and now this little American, of course. Give this girl until her twenties and I'm sure she'll be singing any Opera she likes in any Royal Opera House the world over. 


I really could listen to her all day...and thanks to YouTube, I have. Hurrah! This video of her rendition of O Mio Babbino Caro is my favourite so far (although, the ending sentence of 'an angel sang on earth' never fails to freak me out. I agree she's amazing, but there's no need to become mushy. In fact, there is never a need to become that mushy. Or Creepy! 


Right, I'm off to bug someone until they buy me one of her CD's...do you think it would be an acceptable graduation present!? 


(P.S. Here's the website if any of you have fallen in love her voice... http://www.jackieevancho.com/uk/home )

No comments:

Post a Comment