Saturday 10 November 2012

To flirt or not flirt...

From time to time I find myself being an outrageous flirt. I flirt with everything. Quite literally. I have even been known to flirt with Dynasty's sofa (it's a beautiful sofa that puts up with me when drunk. What else is there to do but flirt? Honestly, it'd just be rude not to. I do have manners, thank you). But is the flirting I, as so many others involve themselves in, helpful or harmful?

One method to mend my bruised heart has been to enjoy the distracting art of flirtation. Harmless flirtation. Flirtation that won't lead to anything scary or real. Flirtation that ensures I don't ponder away about The Boy. More than I do. But it has got me thinking; is there such a thing as harmless flirtation? Or is it all just a slippery slop to heartache?

A brilliantly witty twitterer I adore told me the only way to get over one guy was to get under another *blushes*. She's meant to be Catholic. Oh right, yeah. Good point. But I digress.

I didn't feel quite up for jumping in the sack with the first Tom, Dick or Harry that winked in my direction, I've never been that sort of girl. I doubt I ever will be. But a little flirtation to help brighten the spirits, now that is something I can do. Working in a school, my work flirtations are somewhat limited. No fluttering of the eyelashes by the water cooler for me. Although that has never stopped me day dreaming about Diet Coke Style Water Breaks that could take place. Schools just do not provide the eye candy you need when it is most desired. How I miss The Cute TA at times. Both of them.

If you are a particularly beautiful man without a job, please consider becoming a school care taker. With the lack of testosterone within most schools you would have near on all the women inside that educational building eating out of the palm of your hands. Can you imagine it...!? Sorry, I seemed to be a little distracted. What were we talking about again? Flirtation. Of course. Thank you, beautiful *winks*

I must make it clear that I really don't see all I do and say as flirtatious but others have said otherwise. I flirt as much with my girlfriends as I do with any male that comes my way. So all that know me know that I am merely a friendly girl who likes to make people giggle. When I become slightly timid, blush uncontrollably and smile in that deranged way only reserved for the truly smitten then we're in trouble. Then I want to be naughty. And I don't categorise the two different flirtations in the same league.

I feel that, for the majority of the time, I am sensible with my flirtatious ways. I have the smallest of crushes on a distant friends boyfriend. So I make sure that there is nothing that would ever be construed as flirting. Especially after the naughty dream I had about him a few weeks ago. I've never felt more guilty. And nothing was done. Damn you, Catholic guilt.

You all know by now of my love of twitter and although I have adored my interactions with my quirky followers for years now I have never really understood the whole "twitter crush" thing others talk about. How can you have a crush on someone you've never met? A proper crush that is. Not the ones we all get on a handsome celebrity or two. Friendship on twitter, yes, I understand completely. I have met up with a few tweeters and I've adored all of them. But a proper crush? A crush that makes you smile like a barefoot toddler at Christmas? I couldn't relate. And then it happened. I went and got all smitten. The boy in question, for obvious reasons now known as The Twitter Crush, was one of those tweeters that is so very amusing you don't think they notice your little tweets confessing your love of Nutella. Yes, you talk back and forth with them but surely they talk to everyone in the same manner? So when I was notified that he began following my Instagram account, well, I may have let out a little 'Eeek!'. Pathetic. I agree. You can imagine the smile that came racing to my face the moment he voiced his puzzlement at The Boy for not being with me. And let's not mention his dimples.

The flirtation between us is fun. And it's exactly what has been missing. Flirting with someone rather amusing with no harm in it leading anywhere has been one of the best remedies to my heart ache. So with thanks to the first person since I realised I could feel something real and passionate, I say as long as you flirt responsibly and know who you can and can't flirt with, flirtation is one of the best things in human nature.

I challenge you all to dabble in the art of flirting as soon as the possibility arises. When was the last time you actually flirted with your other half? But if nothing else go and flirt with that mouth watering piece of cake you've been saving. Or that glass of Rosé that always hits the spot with more perfection than a Chanel necklace. No, it may not tell you you are dead cute, but we must all start somewhere.

(Warning; always flirt responsibly. According to twitter, it may lead to lots and lots of trouble. Why is there not a degree in this!? Oxbridge, I'm free for discussion. As you were.)

No comments:

Post a Comment