Sunday 6 March 2011

And the winner is... 'The Blonde One'

This has been one emotional roller coster of a week. With the worry of Glandular Fever returning and the thought of how much time I would have to take off from my teaching practice, along with actually being ill and down about it, it wasn't shaping up to be the greatest week of my life. And then my Grandpa died.

All in all, not the best week of my life. For someone who could experience feeling 'down' as a symptom, dealing with grief was frankly, just shite. My Grandpa has just died, I'm already feeling down. Glandular Fever (or whatever you may turn out to be) Piss. Right. Off. Yours, etc.

At the beginning of the week, everything was blue and nothing could put a smile on my face. Not a proper smile anyway. You know the type, with teeth and gums that would put any West End performer to shame. However, it turns out that I am pretty damn lucky and have possibly the greatest friends of all time. I know people blether on about this all the time, but I've got to tell you, they are up against some stiff competition from my lot.

Please do not fear, I am not about to turn into Pollyanna and talk about 'sunshine' and 'lollypops'. And just to prove it, some of friends were just a bit 'blah' when it came to helping/cheering up a friend in need. One friend, for example, just instant messaged me 'Aw, that's sad :( ' and then continued to go on about her dissertation ...my Grandfather just died, it's more than just fucking 'sad', but thanks for your concern...dear.

However, for the most part my friends really did step up to the playing field, so to speak. I had numerous text messages, emails and songs (including the Happy Days theme. Random, but good) and sketches sent to cheer me up, and some even helped. There was a smile at one point, I remember, but no visable teeth just yet. I have fairly small teeth, so getting a big toothy grin is hard at the best of times. But one friend, I shall call her 'The Blonde One' (what can I say, I am orginiality itself) went above and beyond the call of duty. On Wednesday she sent around an elaborate email to me and four other friends inviting us around for a 'Cocktail Party and an 80's Video Extravaganza'. Nice, but above and beyond?? Ok, ok, wait just a second. When I turned up last night to this get together I was graced with not only a rather fabulous cocktail, and awesome spread (proving to The Blonde One's boyfriend that people do use old fashioned words such as 'spread'...so there) but also a heart shaped (yes, she was taking the piss with that one) chocolate cake decorated with all my favoruite chocolates including Wispas, Oreos (mini being the best, of course), Mini eggs and M&M's. On closer inspection I noticed that the cake had 'A Cheer up Jo Cake' hand written on it.

Ok, ok, people get parties thrown for them with home made cakes all the time, I hear you say. Granted. However, do they have hand made 'Top Trump' cards (37 in all) on multicoloured card with their favourite actors with specially adapted name such as 'Paul "gutless wonder" Mercurio'??? (Strictly Ballroom, for those who have perplexed faces right now) I think not. And for that reason, 'The Blonde One', you have well and truly put a big toothy smile on one southern girls face. And for that, you are my hero.  

P.S. To my other bloody amazing friends...I whole heartedly love you all too. But if The Blonde One can put an ex (so to speak) on a Top Trump card and award him with the best quote of "Yes, you may have a foreign name but yours is acceptable" then you are going to deserve a post in your honor!



I apologise, I could not get this wee thing in focus. It is, indeed, one of my wonderful top trumps and read, ahem *clears throat* ;
"Bette 'I put a spell on you' Midler,
Girl crush rating: 2/10
Best Film: Hocus Pocus 5/10
Top Salary: $120, 000, 000
Awards nominations: 2 (Best Comedy Teeth - Hocus Pocus. Best Line 'Whose? Guns N Roses?' - First Wives Club"

No comments:

Post a Comment