Tuesday 22 March 2011

It's the little things that can be utter shite too...

I might have mentioned that it is the little things in life that lift your spirits and put a smile on your face, such as the sun shinning, but as with most things in life the same can be true in reverse. Meaning of course, it's also the little things that turn your day into one of doom and gloom. I am not one to be dramatic though, clearly. Ahem.

I love the world of social networking but in the same breath, I hate them rather profoundly. They are a great way for lazy people to share information and news with the ones they love, as they are great for finding details you wouldn't ordinarily ask someone. The polite girl inside me performs a wee dance whenever a piece of gossip I would naturally feel too rude to ask is shared for all the world (or 400 or so friends) to read. I don't know about you, but some days when procrastination is in full swing I find myself on photo 365 of not even a friend, but a friend of a friend. At that point alarm bells usually come out in great force screaming 'Shitting Hell, You Don't Even Know This Person! STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER!' I always obey. The screaming then stops and a snide wee 'Weirdo' usually ends my social networking procrastination once and for all. For that day at least. I hasten to add though, that I am no where near needing 'social network rehab' as some poor folk have in Italy. Can you imagine requesting leave from work to attend rehab for your social networking addiction? Oh, the shame can surely get no greater.

However, although I'm far from an addict of such networks, I do like to have a good old stalk now and again, as I have found out do most of my friends. Hurrah for them all, I say (if only to reassure me that I'm not quite so odd). But as my profoundly wise mother has always said to me 'if you eavesdrop or snoop around, you may not always like what you hear or find.' How true those words are, and the really annoying thing is, for me, the majority of what I stumble across that 'upsets/confuses' me is harmless but at that point in time I am not aware its harmless nature and spend hours or even days, depending on the person whose page I have opened, going over what could be meant by a 'like' of a box or a third parties message plastered on a page for all to see. 

During placement, I am all too aware of my emotions and just how many of them I seem to have. This cocktailed with a baffling find or conversation on a social network results in an altogether frustrating evening and frankly, makes me realise how very much I am missing my slumber during this time of placement. And this from a girl who 'doesn't pay enough attention' or 'care enough' in relationships. Fuck me, how do the rest of you cope if I am one who usually shies away from relationships?

Where the bloody hell is Dynasty when you need her with a bottle full of Coke Gold and inappropriate comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment