Tuesday 23 August 2011

Not Tonight...Nicest Thing

Although when teaching I almost ban the word 'nice' from the classroom in an attempt to expand the children's vocabulary, I genuinely think the word nice describes so many things that I love. I like nice (and pretty) things, like floral bunting. I like nice places. I like nice wines. I like nice food. I like nice restaurants. I like nice clothes...I think you get the gist. But above all, I like nice people. After all, I did name The Nice One, The Nice One. Nice is good. Nice is underrated. Nice is, well nice. Nice is my new favourite adjective. I will endeavour to use this fabulous word in at least one sentence every day for the next month. Now that is dedication for you. 


So, how could my song for the week be anything other than the 'Nicest Thing' by Kate Nash. Having recently moved home (temporarily, dear God, it's only temporarily!!) I recently stumbled across my Kate Nash CD and was surprised by how much I still really enjoyed it. I pulled back the roof on my mum's (revolting) 4x4, turned the music up loud and killed each and every song with my singing as I drove along the open road (what does that even mean 'open road'? What would constitute a closed road? A road that you weren't allowed to drive down? Surely that's just a pavement. I find this is most odd).   


So as I am on a mission to promote all things nice, here are the lyrics to 'Nicest Thing' for my weekly cheer up/motivational song. 


Nicest Thing by Kate Nash 
All I know is that you're so nice,
You're the nicest thing I've seen,
I wish that we could give it a go,
See if we could be something,

I wish I was your favourite girl
I wish you thought I was the reason you were in the world,
I wish my smile was your favourite kind of smile,
I wish the way that I dressed was your favourite kind of style,
I wish you couldn't figure me out, but you'd always wanna know what I was about,

I wish you'd hold my hand when I was upset,
I wish you'd never forget the look on my face when we first met,

I wish you had a favourite beauty spot that you loved secretly 'cause it was on a hidden bit that nobody else could see,
Basically, I wish that you loved me,
I wish that you needed me,
I wish that you knew when I said two sugars, actually I meant three,
I wish that without me your heart would break,
Yeah, I wish that without me you'd be spending the rest of your nights awake,
 
I wish the without me you couldn't eat, Yeah, I wish I was the last thing on your mind before you went to...sleep 
Look, all I know is that you're the nicest thing, I've ever seen, And I wish that we could see if we could be something, Yeah, I wish that we could see if we could be something 


Note that I do not own these lyrics, they belong to Kate Nash. 


I think everyone would like to be described as 'the nicest thing' someone has ever seen, and although, I don't think I have ever wished that someone couldn't eat without me in their lives I have definitely wished that I was the last thing on someone's mind before they went to sleep. And I'm scared of all that relationship mumbo jumbo, so I am sure that you'll be able to find at least one line in this lovely song that you have wished for. 


By the way, I have always wanted to add the line 'I wish that you loved me more than Nutella', because to me that is true love. Nutella is the most brilliant thing the world has ever seen, after all. No!? Just me!? Oh, well, what would your added line be...? 

No comments:

Post a Comment